Wardrobe re-think... how to update your wardrobe without shopping!
Given the current situation we find ourselves in, there may be a fair few people out there clutching at straws when it comes to entertainment. Perhaps you’re spending time planning a trip you want to take or a celebration to reschedule when this is all over. As the weather outside changes, it’s time to take charge of your wardrobe… there’s no time like the present. We want to show you how to re-think your wardrobe for the Summer months without having to buy new! The ultimate wardrobe make-over in 3 easy steps!
1. What do you actually have?
I may or may not know exactly what’s floating around in my wardrobe… guilty as charged.
- Our first step - stock take. The most essential step so you know exactly what you have in your wardrobe! So things you may wear more than often, others may have been neglected slightly and drifted to the back.
- Make sure everything still fits and mainly you would actually still wear.
- To help you out, sort what you have into piles.
- All the things that don’t fit you or you don’t want anymore, can be sorted to donations and giving to friends.
- Another pile for what you still want but might need some repairs. It's also a great time to learn some DIY and sewing/repairing basics - Youtube tutorials, here we come!
2. Mix and match, swap with friends!
A great way to make new additions to your wardrobe without shopping is swapping! What better way to get your friends on-board too than to promise them some new clothes? Inspire your friends digitally to follow in your footsteps. Use Instagram stories, Facetime, Zoom or even through a virtual clothes swap party on HouseParty ! Inventory of their wardrobes might see them finding hidden gems that are perfect for one another. Arrange swaps and start to build new outfits. Although we know you won’t be able to get your hands on these items just yet, you can have an idea of what you will be getting!
3. Re-work, Re-work, Re-work…
Ripped, old pair of jeans? Scissors at the ready, it’s time to re-work. There are lots of fun ways you can re-work clothes you have to make them seasonal. For example, cutting your old jeans into shorts to give them Summery twist! Got a dress that you’ve grown out of? Make it into a chic new top using simply a pair of scissors and a needle and thread! If you have a sewing machine even better, but no worries if you don’t as a needle and thread works just as well.
For a fun activity that’s guaranteed to make you all laugh is painting clothes. See what a fresh splatter of paint can do to boring, old white tee’s that had just about reached their expiry. Experiment with dye. As shocked as we all were, tie dye has made quite a significant comeback in recent months and don’t panic, you can do it from home.
Here’s a link to a cool video showing you how to tie dye your t-shirts!
We hope these different ideas have given you some new wardrobe inspiration! Do you have even more ideas?? Tell us all about them in comments below...
Stay safe, Aequem xo